Monday 4 February 2013

LAWRENCE

Today would have been my Grandads 90th birthday, born 05th February 1923. My Grandad, Lawrence William Casey Hannan was most definitely one of  my most favorite people in the whole world. I know its quite common to hear grown up girls talk fondly of their Grandad's and how much they meant to them, especially when they were little girls, but I don't think it could ever be an exhausted subject.


Grandad Soldier WW2 Black Watch


Grandad fought for his King and Country during WW2 as a member of The Black Watch. I was recently sent some information regarding his time in the war, and I now know that he was a POW at  XV111-A, Wolfsberg, Austria. Work camp Stalag 47/GW was a paper mill.



prisoner war camp stalag Austria WW2



Grandad and Grandma were married during WW2, before he was captured by The German Army, and sent to Austria.


granda grandma WW2 wedding


Although, Grandma said that the war changed him, and left an indelible mark on him, Pte Hannan 6694 was far removed from what I saw.

granda me 1970s


We would go for long walks over fields and in streams, we went to the beach, we went horse riding (regularly), he took me on the Big Dipper in Blackpool, he helped me ride my bike, he encouraged me to draw, and slipped 50p pieces in my pocket when no one was looking. I loved him with all my heart.


granda police uniform 1970s


Oscar does not have a Grandad, because my own Dad passed away 3 weeks before he was born and Duncan has not had a relationship with his Dad, and for this I am deeply sorry, because I know how special the bond can be between Grandparents and Grandchildren.


granda christopher baby 1990s
Grandad with my oldest son Christopher in 1990


I am glad however that both of my older children knew their Great Grandparents well, and Grandad spent quite a lot of time playing/chasing after them when they came along.

I will probably always miss my Grandad, but thats as it should be, because that is what reminds us to talk of the ones who have gone before us, and keep their memories alive for the generations to come.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDAD LARRY
LOVE YOU 
xxx


* For anyone who finds this page through http://www.stalag18a.org.uk/ PTE Lawrence William Casey Hannan POW Number 6614 camp number XV111- A , passed away on 29th July 2009. He left this world from his own bed with his wife and family around him (cause, stomach carcinoma), he was 79 years old. 


No comments:

Post a Comment