Tuesday 28 February 2012

My First Ever Attempt

At Felting.


First I chose 2 yearns (the brown is sock yarn and the green is 100% wool 3ply), and cast on 45 sts on circular needles.


 


W 001


 


It was basically like knitting a small hat


 


W 002


 


The instructions online said to knit to 7 or 8 inches in length then start decreases. Apparently it would shrink more in length than in width during the felting process.


 


W 004


 


First I tried the hand felting method, which consisted of washing in very hot soapy water, then washing in very cold clear water.


 


W 005


 


Maybe I wasn't doing it right, or maybe I didn't try it long enough, but I soon got bored of nothing happening, so I decided to try the washing machine method. I put it into the washing mashing on a hot wash with cottons only.


 


W 006


 


And it worked. It was much taller than I had wanted, so I turned the top down, (meaning the length didn't shrink as much as I had anticipated), so 5 or 6 inches would have been long enough.


I stretched it over the underside of one of Oscars desert bowls and left it to dry.


Meanwhile, we made some flour, salt and water 'eggs' and baked then in a cool/medium oven. Then we painted them blue.


 


V 010


 


When everything was dry, we put it all together on the season table. Oscar and I agree it looks good, perfect for spring.


 


V 012


 


V 011


 


Valerie


xxx


Footer_banner


 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment