Thursday 28 June 2012

Walking Together

Oscar & Duncan



It was still raining yesterday. The sky was as grey as it gets and it seemed that the greyness was dripping down and colouring everything it touched. The flowers and trees bent their heads hiding their vibrancy, and the wetness on the roads and houses was reflecting back the colour of the sky. Oscar was like a little blast of amazing colour in his red wellingtons and red raincoat. His puddle skipping was colourful in itself.
On the way to nursery he is permitted to walk through puddles (so he does not get soaked and then have to sit in wet clothes all morning). On the way home from nursery he is permitted to jump in puddles, because seriously, what kind of Mama bans puddle jumping outright. The road outside nursery is lined with police cones, because as I recall from taking the older children there, there used to be near death collisions as parents tried to park as close to the school as possible. Now no one can park there. A little further along and the cones end, and there are cars usually parked (it is a dead end street so there is not a lot of traffic, just a lot of parking). Yesterday Oscar was stepping on and off the pavement into the puddles at the kerbside. He tries to do this ALL the time and I am forever telling him to step back onto the pavement. We reached the parked cars and once again I turned around just as he was stepping off the pavement into a puddle, in between 2 parked cars. I had just said the words 'Oscar on the pavement please', when the woman sitting in the parked car we were beside pressed down on the horn, letting out an almighty noise. Oscar leaped about a foot into the air and burst into tears. I turned to look at the woman and she was grinning all over her face and said through the half open window, 'He wont be doing that again in a hurry'. I resisted the urge to pull her out of her stupid red sports car by her scrawny ratty hair, and hugged Oscar close instead and then went on our way. Oscar cried ALL - THE - WAY - home. I know he shouldn't be stepping onto the road, I know, I know. But I was dealing with it and he is only 3 years old. I wasn't sure what to make of it later. Have you ever tried to make a 3 year old walk at your side? It is virtually impossible. I know that children should have clear road sense guidance, and its unlikely he will step into kerbside puddles again. But isn't there a law about misuse of horns (I think my Dad told me that, it could be a fib haha). Anyway, what he really took away from it was that the woman in the red car 'was mean' (his words), and had spoiled his fun. I tend to agree with him. What type of person grins from ear to ear because they have just frightened a little boy for stepping into a puddle. Am I right or wrong?



No comments:

Post a Comment