Friday 6 December 2013

A Mostly Vegetarian Post

Every so often I decide to have a period of abstinence from meat (and poultry and fish). I have seen a pattern over the past few years that come spring, I stop eating meat for quite a few weeks. I wonder if it is ancient instincts kicking in and my body is telling me I can let up on (animal) fat storing because the winter is over and the crops are coming up. Its not too far fetched.
In preparation for Christmas I am going to be having a meat free week next week. A little body cleanser if you will. Significantly upping my vegetable and grain intake always makes me feel healthier and lighter. I thought I might post up my evening meal recipes each day and let you know how it went.




Yesterday was an absolutely bitter day (we had 130mph winds in the night, followed by torrential rain, sleet, hailstones and snow), so when I saw VIX'S soup recipe I decided to get in the mood for a vegetarian week by making a big pot of vegi soup.

11b sweet potatoes (peeled & chopped) - Vix used parsnips, but we used sweet potatoes
1 large white onion (chopped)
2 large cooking apples (peeled & chopped)
2 tsp Madras curry powder
2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 litre vegetable stock
1cm of finely grated ginger

  • Soften the apples, and onion in oil, taking care not to colour
  • Add the garlic and spices and ginger and cook for 2 minutes
  • Add the sweet potatoes
  • Carefully pour in the stock, stirring until the soup starts to boil
  • Turn down heat, pop a lid on the saucepan & simmer for 30 mins (or until sweet potatoes are soft)
  • Remove pan from the heat, liquidise, season to taste
  • We also added some cream




  Naturally enough, we also polished off some left over birthday cake, because we wouldn't want to enter our 'healthy week' with cake left over (although the missionaries did bring me a giant box of Dairy Milk that I would take about a week to finish lol)





Here are the recipes I have planned and shopped for, for the coming week.


  • Saturday 7th December - CHICKPEA AND SQUASH CURRY
  • Sunday 8th December -  VEGETABLE CHILI followed by FRUIT CRUMBLE
  • Monday 9th December -  CREAMY PESTO PASTA
  • Tuesday 10th December -  EASY CHEESY VEG PITTA
  • Wednesday 11th December - CHICKPEA BURGERS
  • Thursday 12th December - CHEESE & LEEK SKINS
  • Friday 13th December - MUSHROOM & JALAPENOS WRAPS

Sounds good right? Lets hope it tastes good (or I may have to break out the emergency hot-dogs for Oscar).

Have A Wonderful Weekend
Valerie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment