Monday 2 December 2013

Surrounded

There is an unusually high number of churches in the small place that we live. I have not actually counted how many, and Google didn't throw up an immediate answer, but I can think of 8 off the top of my head. The population here is roughly 13,000, so that seems like a lot of churches to me.

We can see 3 churches just from our cottage alone, none of which are actually MY church, (which is a bus ride away), but I still like having church buildings close by. They are infinitely more interesting than offices or chinese take-aways.












My Church - Bingham Tce Dundee - source

I tried going to a church close to where I live, but they didn't work for me. Have I ever told you how I joined THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS? Well, I tried the Baptist Church (twice), I tried the Protestant Church (several times over several years), and I tried the Catholic Church (a few times), and they just did not sit right with me. I knew that my desire to live a more Christ like life was growing and growing, but it had to fit. It didn't have to be easy (and it isn't, sometimes it is really hard), but the Doctrine had to be compatible with the small handful of beliefs that I held in my heart.
The internet is a wonderful source of information, but it is also filled with a lot of untruths, half baked truths and things with just enough truth to make you believe it. There is as much correct information about Mormonism as there is untruths on the internet. So I went to the Latter Day Saint Website and I requested a Missionary visit HERE. I figured that if they could tell me their basic beliefs then I could decide whether to accept or reject them.
One of the first things we talked about is children under 8. Having lost a baby girl in pregnancy, it was a big thing for me to hear that unlike some other faiths, Latter Day Saints believe that all babies and children go straight to heaven regardless of baptism. In our church, we believe that children under 8 cannot be held fully accountable and therefore cannot be classed as sinners or unclean. Its a big stumbling block for me with regards to the Christian faiths who believe we are born with sin. Oscar will be baptised at age 8, if he so chooses, I didn't have to choose this for him at a few weeks old because I was afraid he would go to Hell if I don't get it done. 
Another thing we talked about is the Trinity. When the missionaries asked me how I thought of the Trinity I told them I thought of 3 separate beings, and they were enthusiastic about my answer. Some other faiths believe that God The Father, Jesus The Son and The Holy Spirit are 3 within one, a single being. I couldn't reconcile this in my head. I couldn't help but see them as 3 separate beings with 3 separate purposes but of course beautifully linked.
Well, my lessons with the Missionaries continued and each time we came to one of my 'things' I found that I already believed what the Church believed. It was a weird thing for me, since I came from a Catholic Father and a Protestant mother. I can only assume then, that my understanding and beliefs came directly from my Father in Heaven, since my earthy parents avoided most religious instruction because of their different backgrounds.
I had to follow my heart and I guess that's really true for all of us. I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong, its not my place to do that, but I knew that what I had found in churches up until that point  seemed wrong to me.

I have said goodbye to the first 2 missionaries who became such good friends over the course of my lessons, but we still keep in touch. A 3rd missionary came to replace the missionary who baptised me, and he, Elder Tinsley has been carrying on my teachings all through the summer . Well, the Lord must have decided I didn't need him any more, and so we also said our goodbye's yesterday. I will miss him terribly, and Oscar cried about him leaving and said 'but I love him so much'. 

As I have loved you,
Love one another.
This new commandment:
Love one another.
By this shall men know
Ye are my disciples,
If ye have love
One to another.





We Love You Elder Tinsley, Thank you for teaching us the Gospel
Valerie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment