Thursday 2 January 2014

▲ HAPPY NEW YEAR ▲

Hello! and Happy New Year. I hope there weren't too many sore heads out there in blog land. Being alcohol free (for religious purposes) sure has its advantages. As an adult, New Year has never been a big deal to me and I have always preferred Christmas.
When I was a child New Year was a whole different thing than it is now. My Dad's family were a 'bunch of extroverts' (according to my Mum who is fairly shy), and so HOGMANAY signaled the start of a 2 week party period. It seemed that every family member took it in turns to host a New Year party, night after night, and what wild parties they were, with singing and dancing and games and heaps of food and drink. Since it was the 1970's all the women wore brightly coloured maxi or midi dresses and the men wore wide lapel suits and kipper ties. The music was a crazy mix of Abba, The Osmonds, traditional Scottish music and bagpipes. Everyone told BILLY CONNOLLY jokes and the men drank BELLS WHISKEY and McEWANS LAGER and the ladies drank Bacardi and Coke or ADVOCAAT and lemonade. My sister and I used to serve the nibbles to everyone in 'Party Susan's' which were tupperware compartment trays used to hold heaps of cheese and pickles and beetroot and pineapple. We loved it, because it meant we could eat as much as we liked and no one ever noticed.
New Year for us now is a lot quieter, but we still had fun.

















vintage Tupperware Party Susan, 
the contents of which were mostly demolished by the missionaries






I hope you guys had fun, however you rang in 2014
Valerie
xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment