Tuesday 22 November 2011

A hole


This morning I took out some of my knitting to photograph for the blog, and one of the hats I have knitted (an elf hat for Oscar), has a gaping big hole in it. I cant tell you how upset I am, and to make matters worse, its stripped and I have cut and bound all the edges, so virtually impossible to rattle down and start again. The silver lining being I can order more wool, of which I have a considerable list saved ready for purchase. Still, hours wasted, and Duncan had even started making a pom-pom for it (I think he was regretting volunteering for that one). The hat was intact when I saw it last, but one of the woven wicker craft baskets has bits on it which could technically snag wool. I have my other finished pieces in bags now, so lesson learned I guess.

SO, instead of hats, here are wrist warmers and a necklett. I wasnt sure about the sequins, but the recipient is 12, so I thought maybe it would 'funk' them up a bit? (but what do I know, I just used the word funk!).

I intend on edging the necklet with sequins.

You can expect plenty of craft/knitting posts over the next few weeks, because I have a list of things to finish for Christmas.

Today is Mother & Toddlers group, but Oscar has been struggling to make the afternoon session (Tuesday afternoon, Friday morning), because he is often in need of a nap by 2pm and very grumpy. I shall play it by ear. Also on the agenda today is a practise run at making peppermint creams. I plan on letting Oscar make some as gifts on Christmas week, but a wee trial run is definitely in order. You can find the recipe online, but here is the one I will be using.


Ingredients






Preparation method




  1. Whisk the egg white in a bowl until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice, peppermint and icing sugar to a stiff paste.


  2. Tip the peppermint mixture onto a work surface dusted liberally with icing sugar and roll out thinly.


  3. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to cut out circles and place them onto a baking tray. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours, or until the mixture has set.


  4. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.)


  5. Dip each peppermint cream into the melted chocolate and set aside on a baking tray. Chill the peppermint creams until set.

How much mix/chocolate do you think Oscar will eat straight from the bowl?



pics 150 Valerie

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment