Tuesday 21 August 2012

My Monday


  • Oscar wakes us at 6 : 20am by climbing into bed between us and asking for some milk.

  • Duncan goes downstairs to get it and I untangle myself from the cotton top sheet and wonder if someone has been pouring alcohol down my throat while I sleep, because I feel like I have a hangover

  • Eventually we all go downstairs and play our new game of where has the cat pee'd today (found 2 hours later at the base of the floor lamp in the dining room)

  • Oscar has some of yesterdays baking for breakfast but it falls onto the floor so he gives up and sits beside me on the sofa (me checking emails on the laptop, him watching Noddy)

  • Duncan irons his clothes, brings me tea and toast, gulps a decaf coffee and goes off to work.

  • Oscar watches TV and chats about buying more 'goo'. I cant stand the thought of it, we left some green goo stains on the carpet of the last house, because they just wouldn't clean out

  • Aimee gets up and has breakfast and plays with Oscar (with his Lego), while I hang out some laundry (I am so tired I carry the basket of dirty laundry into the garden, luckily noticing in time before I hang any out), put on a new laundry load, and throw the ingredients for tomato and lentil soup into a pot, (4 garlic cloves crushed, pint of water 1 cup dry red lentils, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, 2 tsp thyme, 2 tsp mustard, 2 tbs bouillon stock)

  • I have a cup of tea (decaf) and Oscar has a yogurt

  • The post arrives and there are parcels, face paints for Oscar (which, if I am honest I had completely forgotten about) and a rainbow teapot for me (will it make decaf tea taste better?)

  • Oscar runs around being a monster in his first ever face paint, and I stir the soup and check on the laundry, stopping for a minute to listen. The church spire is being repaired and there are at least 3 different nationality of men working on it. I cant quite see them, but I like to hear their disembodied shouts and the sound of hammers on stone float down from the sky

  • I pick up my knitting for the first time today and Oscar watches Aimee putting face paints on herself

  • I daydream about about THIS but decide to be a good Mama and make THIS instead

  • The door is knocked unexpectedly and Aimee panics because she has a green face, its my Mum, calling in for lunch/visit (we didn't know she was popping in), Oscar is pleased to see his Granny and Aimee is embarrassed

  • I plate the soup as Duncan comes in the door, we eat lunch and talk about how good it is that his work is only 5 minutes away (the design studion is in a converted church)

  • We chat for a while after Duncan has gone back to work, and we christen the new teapot

  • Oscar plays outside for a while tipping rain water out of various vessels/containers

  • The play dough is brought out and put away about 6 times over the course of the afternoon, big thumbs up on keeping Oscar amused

  • Granny leaves at 3pm to call in at the butchers before catching the bus home

  • I check on the laundry but half of it is still damp so I leave it out, meanwhile Oscar has learnt to get onto his swing himself and swing it a tiny bit without being pushed

  • The cat decides to climb over the fence (for the 1st time) and sit by the railway line. Oscar and Aimee spend a good 20 minutes calling on her from the bedroom window and the cat mews back with her weird silent meow

  • Duncan comes home at 4 : 30pm carrying a new broom for sweeping up (see bullet point 3 for a previous day)

  • Dinner making, eating, and catching up blur into one long stream of events until I take Oscar for a bath and Duncan goes for ice-cream

  • Bath-time is cut short when Oscar gets soap up his nose whilst trying to clean the face paints off - howling

  • Duncan manages to halt the tears back downstairs with a scoop of finest strawberry Italian ice-cream

  • I read some blogs and check emails while Duncan gets a grand tour of todays play dough creations/activeties

  • Duncan takes Oscar to bed at 8 : 00 oclock and I finish knitting one blanket square and cast on another one (3 down 33 to go)

  • Duncan comes back downstairs at 8 : 20pm and by then the sun is going down and the room is losing light fast


* - Bottoms were wiped, dishes were done, cats were fed, stories were read, clothes were changed several times and a few more cups of tea were drank


 


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


Monday


 


A perfect demonstration of how time can be an enigma and the day slips away while you are doing not very much at all.


Valerie


xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment