Friday 10 August 2012

S'more Or Less

I have a brand new oven, we had to remove the packaging inside to use it for the first time. As fabulous as that is, I am not really getting to grips with it yet. It seems to take ages to cook things. My previous ovens have been practically prehistoric and I was starting to suspect that my last oven only had 2 temperatures, off and hot.


 


g 001


 


So, a little bit of non-cook baking was required until I get the hang of this new fangled thing. 


There seems to be an almost fanatical obsession amongst American food bloggers over the strangely named S'more. I am still not 100% what it is because there appears to be a huge variation in the recipes, but as far as I can tell it involves marshmallow, chocolate and a biscuit known as a Graham cracker. We don't have Graham crackers here in the UK but I saw someplace that a Digestive biscuit will be a suitable substitute. Here is my recipe for a tray of S'more type cakes, its probably an abomination to my American friends, but we liked it.


Ingredients



  • 12 Digestive biscuits, finely crushed + 1 more

  • 8 level tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

  • 150g dark chocolate

  • 1/2 tin condensed milk (about 200g)

  • 6 marshmallows cut into 4's


Method



  • Line or grease the bottom of a baking tray (about 6' by 6')

  • Mix the melted butter and 12 Digestives together and press into the bottom of the tray

  • Melt the chocolate and condensed milk over a low heat, allow to cool and pour over the biscuit base

  • Place the cut marshmallows on top of the chocolate mix and sprinkle with the last crushed Digestive

  • Place in the fridge for at lease 2 hours


 


g 003


 


Valerie


xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment