Thursday 16 August 2012

Slippery Slope

When it comes to food, I would say that in general I am moderately good at providing healthy food for myself and the family.  Splitting it into three categories, I would say that dinners are usually very healthy, breakfasts are moderately healthy (I NEVER buy chocolate cereal, blurgh), and snacks are not all that healthy. The problems with the snacks is that I personally don't like fruit much. I like sliced apple and occasionally grapes, but I don't like the texture of most fruits. When you look into healthy eating guides, they nearly always list fruit as 'the' snack.


Putting all of this aside, we have fallen into some bad habits, justified by moving house (having half of the kitchen packed and all of the frozen food depleted, for a period of time).  Yesterday I was despairing at some limp breakfast toast (shop bought bread), when I decided it was time to get things back on track.


After a little bit of web surfing I finally found THIS WEBSITE, and I have to say, it looks pretty promising. I already know that presentation plays a big part in enticing children to eat certain foods and tha'ts one of the things this site does pretty well.  I don't intend of making separate food for Oscar though, we will all be eating the same. There are down-loadable meal planners, but I have chosen to follow some of them and mix it up with other recipes on the site.


Last nights dinner


Black Bean Soup with cheese and salad wraps


 


healthy


And breakfast this morning


Bagels with low fat cream cheese and strawberries (no strawberries on mine)


 


healthy


 


Oscars eyes lit up when I served him this.  I have also switched to decaf tea and I am trying to get Duncan to switch to decaf coffee (that needs more work).  I have been looking into STEVIA LEAF as a substitute for sugar. I still don't have the snack issue resolved, but there are a few non fruit snacks (for me) to choose from. I have had chickpeas soaking over night for today's SNACK.  I actually like having things planned in advance food wise, because I hate sitting at 4pm wondering what to cook that night, but I also expect to fall off the wagon quite a few times (we have 3 bakeries and 2 fish and chip shops in the next street from us).


Valerie


xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment