Tuesday 13 December 2011

Beating The Blues

Its no secret that Mondays are my most difficult day of the week. I find it almost impossible to spin it into an exciting brand new day in a brand new week, where the possibilities are endless, although I really do try to. Mondays were previously called Blue Mondays (by the Victorians), as a reflection of the amount of work needing done after the weekend, namely the laundry (I hear you on that one). Maybe I have a residual passed on from mother to daughter down the centuries, telling me Mondays are to be dreaded? Ok, so probably not, but you never know, there are stranger things out there.

Yesterday as I sat sipping my morning tea it occurred to me that we are half way through the month to Christmas. I generally love December even though it can be quite stressful. In our family it is peppered with other events, my birthday is the 3rd, my late Grandma Rose had her birthday on the 14th, my Mum and her brother have their birthday on the 18th and my Aunt (who is also my Godmother) has her birthday on the 31st, and not forgetting, Duncan and I were married on my birthday in 2005 so its our wedding anniversary too. Throw in some trips to see pantomimes and at least one Christmas party and it was quite a whirlwind of fun. Things are a bit quieter now we have a little one again (although I cant wait to take Oscar to his first Panto, maybe next year when he is 3, almost 4), but we are finding joy in the wonder that is a child's eyes. Oscar is absolutely delighted with all of the trimming and crafting and every image he sees which is Christmas related, its an amazing thing to be a part of.

Once I had mulled this over I decided that Monday or not, I should make the effort to lighten my mood. After all, it will be grey January soon enough, and with the sparkle of Christmas behind us and spring so far away, it may feel like a Monday all month long. It actually did help.

PS, our late afternoon cooking turned out not too bad. The lasagne turned out well (and very tasty), and quite huge.

And to satisfy a small boys cooking needs, we attempted some peppermint bark. I have had it in my bookmarks for months and months since I spotted it HERE and when KAT made hers it reminded me to look it up. The recipe (if you can call it that), is HERE, but as you can see below, we didn't have enough white chocolate, so ours is white, dark and milk chocolate. Oscar didn't seem to mind in the slightest.


4 001

4 008

No comments:

Post a Comment