Wednesday 7 December 2011

SERIOUSLY? (rant rant rant)

Have you seen the new ad campaign coming out in America? It is aimed at new parents, warning them on the dangers of co-sleeping.
Can it? Me and a meat cleaver are imposing the same level of threat? This kind of thing really bugs me. I remember my Health Visitor warning/checking I wasn't sleeping with Oscar, and it made me quite uptight about the whole thing. I used to make Duncan watch us while I napped so that I wouldn't accidentally kill the baby. Then I talked to some ACTUAL CO-SLEEPING MOTHERS, who advised me on safety issues and where to go for further information and we haven't looked back since. It seemed so alien to me to try and separate myself from my little infant, especially when he was trying to tell me the same thing 'stay with me Mama', his cries said it loud and clear. Here is a link to Dr Sears guide to co-sleeping, just in case you want a quick look, but there are hundreds of safety guides on the net.


* - I am well aware that tragic co-sleeping accidents do occur, but they also occur in most other aspects of life. Last week when I bought the teaset in the charity shop, the lady who served me and wrapped the china, told me about her grandson. He had somehow managed to get himself tangled in the cat net his family had put on the crib for his own protection. Devastatingly he was strangled and died, he was 7 months old. Would he have been safer by his mothers side? I cant answer that, but as I said, accidents do happen.

I sincerely hope this kind of scare mongering does not cross the Ocean to the UK, I am appalled by that image (and the 2 other similar images in the ad campaign).



No comments:

Post a Comment