Wednesday 4 September 2013

A Full Few Days

27.05.2013

I often spend large periods of time not doing very much at all, and I find it extremely dull. I expect if I were at home with more than one child I would be much busier, or if I had a job I would be much busier, but being at home day and night with just Oscar can often leave me wanting more things to do with my time.  Three out of the four past days have been busy days for me and it has been a welcome change.
On Thursday morning I had 2 friends visiting in the morning, one church friend, Bella, and one school friend, Janet. We had tea (Janet), Redbush tea (me), and hot chocolate (Bella) and cakes and a really good natter. It is pretty great when your old friends and new friends get along well. Bella and I collected our children from nursery (the same nursery) and we took them for lunch in town, before we went our separate ways and Oscar and I met up with another friend, Laura, to see the Degree show at our old art school [see this post HERE]. After the show Laura drove Oscar and I home and I hurried in to make dinner before the missionaries arrived for my lesson at 7pm. [info on missionary work HERE].
Friday was a down day because I had an awful migraine (again). But, it was not a completely wasted day because I think I may have found out what it triggering the migraine's which started after Oscar was born, 4 years ago. That is no small thing.
On Saturday morning we had to take the bus to the supermarket and Oscar cried and moaned for most of the whole trip. The truth is, we did not much fancy it either, but we are fond of eating so needs must.
When we returned home we headed straight through the cottage to our tiny little garden to catch some sunshine before it went into hiding again (like today). We have not done much planting this year because the weather has been so bad and also the garden is so small there is not much room for planting at all. We would hate to be growing nothing though, so we decided to plant up some herbs, tomatoes and strawberries.
60
61
66
64
62
63


The rest of the tiny garden looks like this


65
So not much space for planting.
On Saturday evening I made pizza for everyone, including the missionaries who came for another lesson at 7pm. 
After they left, Duncan and I flopped down with pizza and watched some TV (we are watching House of Cards on Netflix and really enjoying it, Kevin Spacey is brilliant in it).
Sunday was church day of course and I get collected by 2 sisters at 10.10am. Duncan and Oscar headed off to the beach when I was collected because miraculously the sun was shining 2 mornings in a row. 
Church was amazing as it has always been for me since the very first visit, but there were a few little surprises for me this week.
The first surprise was being asked to the Bishops office for a chat. I really had no idea what the 'chat' was going to be about and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the Bishop had to tell me that I was to have my first 'calling'.
From lds.org
"A person must be called of God to serve in the Church (see Articles of Faith 1:5). Leaders seek the guidance of the Spirit in determining whom to call. They consider the worthiness that may be required for the calling. They also consider the member’s personal or family circumstances. Each calling should benefit the people who are served, the member, and the member’s family.
Although service in Church callings requires sacrifice, it should not compromise a member’s ability to fulfill family and employment responsibilities (see 17.2.1). Before calling a married person to an assignment that requires a significant time commitment, Church leaders consider the effect of the calling on the marriage and family.
If possible, a member is called to serve in only one calling, in addition to assignments as a home teacher or visiting teacher.
Leaders keep information about proposed callings and releases confidential. Only those who need to know, such as an auxiliary president who oversees the person, are informed before the person is presented for a sustaining vote. A person who is being considered for a calling is not notified until the calling is issued."
So, I have been asked to serve as the secretary to the Relief Society. More information on the Relief Society can be found here [DAUGHTERS IN MY KINGDOM]. I cannot express fully how exciting and nerve wracking this calling is, I am really looking forward to giving something back to the church and the members and Heavenly Father, in exchange for everything I have been given over the last few months.
The second surprise came in the form of gifts from the temple from Bella. Bella had spent time at our temple [PRESTON TEMPLE] on Friday and Saturday. She brought me some temple literature and photographs, a ring for Oscar and amazingly this book


70
71
72
I have to admit I had a cry when she gave them to me at the end of the sacrament service. What an amazing gift from a beautiful friend.
After church the same 2 sisters drove me home and I headed straight to the kitchen to make Sunday dinner. We had invited the missionaries to have dinner with us this week (they have a meals rota for members to offer them lunch or dinner if they can), and although I try to bake something for their visits, I was a little bit nervous having them call for a sit down meal with all of us. Needless to say, it went marvelously well and I think out of everyone, Oscar had the best time of all.

67
Elder McCarthy & Oscar
68
Elder Butikofer, Elder McCarthy & Oscar


(FYI Prickly Pile-Up seems to go down well with missionaries haha )

73
So, here I am, a little tired from a full few days, a little bit more freckly from the sun on Saturday, but a lot more happy from time spent with people who mean a lot to me. If you are still wondering what on earth I was thinking joining The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, re read this post a couple of times.
69
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment