Wednesday 4 September 2013

Yarn Along

05.06.2013



Reading
18
Both of these books were a truly unexpected gift from one of the Sisters at Church (Linda), who bought them for me when she visited our Temple (MY TEMPLE). The first book is 'Daughters In My Kingdom
From lds.org
In grateful recognition of the blessing of Relief Society in the lives of Church members, the First Presidency has directed the preparation of Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society.
The teachings, stories, and examples in this history book will guide you in establishing priorities and practices in your life that will help increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.
I love this book already, even though I have only dipped in to it a few times. Luckily, you do not need to take my word for it, because you can read it for free online HERE
I am very proud to be a member (and secretary) of The Relief Society, the Sister are so welcoming and so very inspiring, from the very young to the very old.

19
The second book is a journal. It is very much encouraged by the church that members keep a journal, for many reasons, to pass on to future generations, to keep a record of your journey of faith, to draw inspiration from when times are hard etc.  I think I have mentioned before on the blog that I seem to start journals and then I miss a few days, then a few weeks, and then I find them on a shelf or under the bed covered in dust. I hope I can keep this one going, I feel it will be a wonderful tool for reflection.

Crochet
17

I have started and NOT finished quite a few crochet projects lately, but this one is going well and I am determined to finish it (maybe even for this Sunday). I mentioned in a blog post last week that my beautiful friend Bella gave this set of scriptures

5 022

When she gave them to me I knew I wanted to do something to thank her, but I had no idea what. And then I found a great video on You Tube describing how to crochet a prayer shawl, and I knew right away that this is how I could thank Bella.





I would really like to give it to her at church on Sunday so I will have to dedicate a bit of time to it (which means I can nibble chocolate and watch TV too).
Oh and in case you were wondering.........
 What Makes a Shawl a Prayer Shawl?
To knitters who aren't familiar with prayer shawl knitting, it may seem that a shawl is just a shawl. But there is actually a difference between knitting and giving a shawl and knitting and giving a prayer shawl. Mostly, it's about intention.
Answer:Knitters who are knitting prayer shawls will tell you it's a different process than simply knitting a garment. It all starts with the intention of the knitter to infuse healing, good thoughts and prayers of protection into the shawl.
Prayer shawls are typically prayed over through their process of creation and are also blessed when they are finished before being given to the recipient. This can be done either in a formal ceremony if the shawl is being given by a group affiliated with a church, or the individual who made the shawl may pray over it before giving it away.
The person who receives the shawl is also likely to be prayed over when the shawl is presented, if the shawl is given in person.
In my case its a crochet garment though.
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment