Wednesday 4 September 2013

Don't Forget

12.07.2013

26
My Relief Society President sent me a text message a couple of weeks ago, asking if I would give a 2 minute talk on what the Gospel means to me. I thought it would be for the Relief Society only (the womens group), and I was a little nervous about it. When I asked more questions I quickly found out that it was to be in the Chapel in front of The Relief Society AND The Priestood. At that point, I was shaking in my boots (black sandals). I am so new to the church and I don't know all that many people, and I am completely in awe of some of the speakers I have heard there already. This seemed like a really daunting task for me (I am quite shy really, despite being able to witter on the blog about all manner of personal things).
But just in time, I remembered something I should never forget, 'ask Heavenly Father to help you and He will'. 
Here is what I said, more or less.

Talk For A Couple Of Minutes On How The Gospel Has Altered Your Life

"When I was asked to say a few words today about the blessings of the Gospel in my life, I have to admit that my first thought was one of terror.

And, then I thought, what could I possibly say about the Gospel to all of these people, many of whom have been in the church their whole lives. There can't be anything new that I can say. 

But what I can tell you is how the Gospel has been for me, as a new member of the Church.

I was baptised in this Church on the 5th May this year, and it became obvious to me really quickly that it doesn't matter if you have been in the Church for 5 weeks or 5 years or 50 years, the blessings that you receive by coming closer to Christ are there in equal measure for everyone.

I emailed the Church and asked them to send 2 missionaries to my home to explain things to me, and I honestly had no idea what I was letting myself in for (these missionaries eat a lot of cake). 

I felt comforted when we read the Book Of Mormon together, and from that first day these feelings of comfort and compassion have increased and increased.

Every time I reach out to our Heavenly Father, I can feel HIM reaching out to me in return.

It is a difficult thing to explain and put in to words, the blessings of the Gospel. In this Church we follow Gods Plan Of Happiness, and this is really what I needed to know in the beginning. It is Gods plan for me to be happy.
Since I began to follow Gods plan, I have felt comforted and passionate and uplifted and calmed and excited and loved. And I have also realised that I will never have to feel lonely because our Heavenly Father will always be there for me.

I don't know anyone who would say no to these things, and what is truly incredible is that they are all there waiting for anyone who wants them, and all you have to do in return, is love the Lord with all your heart.

These Things I say in the name of  my Savior Jesus Christ.
Amen.

 Its not polished or perfect in any way, but it was from my heart, and I think for a first attempt at 'public' speaking, it went quite well.
And of course being able to do this also goes on the list of  'How The Gospel Has Altered My Life'

Have A Wonderful Weekend 

Please leave me a comment in the comments section after each post, it's nice to know I am not talking to myself
Valerie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment